Thursday, April 14, 2005

State Attorney Brad King responds

Brad King has not returned my calls regarding Jessica Lunsford. However, he did respond via e-mail to one of my listeners Gordon from Titusville. Here's his reply.


I appreciate your concern about this case. I have detailed to the local
press the reasons why none of these persons violated the criminal law of
Florida. For your information I will explain why that is true.

First, there is no crime in Florida of lying to the police. The Florida
Legislature has never seen fit to make that a crime.

Second, there is no crime in Florida of not reporting a crime or not
giving information to the police. Further more, contrary to some
reports, there is no evidence in this case that the three knew that
Couey had committed a crime against Jessica.

Third, the aider and abetter statute in Florida specifically allows
relatives to assist one another in avoiding or escaping detection from
having committed a crime. Dorothy Dixon is the defendants sister and
therefore is legally allowed to assist him. See Fla. Stat. 777.03(1).

Noone finds what these people did more offensive than I do. But, I have
sworn an oath to follow the law of Florida as enacted by the
Legislature. If they do not choose to make certain acts a crime, I do
not have the right to do so. Regardless of how outraged I am concerning
the actions of these three.

I hope this explains why nothing can be done about them.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home