Tuesday, July 18, 2006

When Pitt Bulls Attack


Check out this story from Local6

Man Shoots Attacking Pit Bulls Off Neighbor
Victim: 'I Really Thought That The End Was Here'

LEESBURG, Fla. -- A man in Leesburg who heard screams for help from his neighbor during an attack by two pit bulls grabbed his shotgun and opened fire, possibly saving the man's life, according to a Local 6 News report.

Authorities with the Lake County Sheriff's Office said two pit bulls attacked Joe Pipala, 61, at his home on Maple Street in Leesburg Sunday.

Pipala said he thought he was going to die during the attack.

"I really thought that the end was here," said victim Joe Pipala. "I hit one with a four-by-four and I could have sworn that I knocked a tooth out and it and it didn't even stun it."

Pipala's neighbor Jeff Lint heard the cries for help and grabbed his gun.

"I heard Joe yelling, 'Jeff help, Jeff, help,'" Lint said. "It was a scream of help. They would not let him alone. They were just all over him. I know Joe and I know that he has a heart condition. As a last resort, I got the 12-gauge shotgun and I come back over."

Lint fired and hit one of the pit bulls.

"It went down and did a 360 three different times and then got up and came after me again," Lint said. "So, I unloaded a second shot into it."

The dog died from the gunshot wounds.

The dead dog's owner was fined $50, the report said.

The second dog involved in the attack belonged to one of the man's friends and was spotted back on its property later Sunday.

There have to be serious consequences for irresponsible pet owners, including jail time. A $50 fine doesn't cut it. What's it going to take to get the second dog off the street and euthanized? Does it have to kill somebody?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home