Wednesday, July 26, 2006

Zoo gets cash from schools

From the Sentinel...

SANFORD -- At a time when the state says Seminole County needs more money to build classrooms, the School Board has been dipping into its construction funds to give $1 million to the Central Florida Zoological Park.

The money could have paid for six or seven new classrooms, which would reduce the crowding in several dozen classes. Instead, it went toward an education building at the zoo, which officials say will benefit county children, too.

A $200,000 installment on a $1 million pledge is included in the $841 million annual budget School Board members tentatively approved Tuesday. The board has given $600,000 already in three annual payments and expects to wrap up its commitment next year.

"It's a good investment and a good experience for the kids," said School Board Chairman Jeanne Morris, who defends the zoo contribution.

From my e-mail...

Hi Pat,
Please forgive me, but I missed some of your show this morning---so maybe you already started on this issue and I just didn’t hear it. I am sure by now you know that the Seminole County School Board gave $1,000,000 of tax payer dollars to the zoo. Not that the zoo isn’t a worthy cause, but where do they get off giving my money to a nonprofit? If I want to support the zoo I will do that on my own. I don’t need the government taking my money and giving it away for me. ESPECIALLY when they have portable buildings at nearly every campus in the county.

I think you need to nail these idiots to the wall. Several of them are up for re-election!!!!!!!

P.S. I just talked to my daughter (a Seminole county school teacher) and told her about the story. She told me that one of the other teachers was told she couldn’t get any pencils for her class because there was no money in the budget. She will let her friend know that the giraffes have her pencils.

-SC

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home