Wednesday, February 27, 2008

Study: Immigrants keeping American Catholic Church afloat




The infusion of newcomers, especially Spanish-speaking immigrants, has kept the American Catholic Church from joining other mainline denominations in dramatic decline, according to a study released today by the Pew Forum on Religion & American Life.

"While nearly one-in-three Americans (31%) were raised in the Catholic faith, today fewer than one-in-four (24%) describe themselves as Catholic. These losses would have been even more pronounced were it not for the offsetting impact of immigration," the report noted.

Pew's U.S. Religious Landscape Survey, which polled 35,000 American adults, also found that the U.S. is on the verge of becoming a minority Protestant country, or barely 51 percent. However, the nation is still an overwhelmingly Christian nation, with 78.4 percent.


This confirms something I've been saying on my show for quite some time. It also explains why the U.S. Catholic Bishops have taken such a liberal stance on illegal immigration. I'm sure we've all heard the old adage "Don't bite the hand that feeds you". Nuff said!

According to the survey, Latinos already account for roughly one in three adult Catholics overall and may account for an even larger share of U.S. Catholics in the future.

10 Comments:

At 10:25 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi, Pat --

Hope all is well with you and your family. I love hearing your voice on the Purity Products spots -- and so miss our morning drive time!! Anyway. Do you have a current email address? Thanks very much - Joney careeroptions08@gmail.com

 
At 5:59 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

My wife and I were both raised and schooled as Catholic's. We decided long ago that our religion was hijacked, and has became hypocritical. We just reregistered as non-partison, from Republican.

Now if you think about it... You might say, the Democrat's have destroyed both the Catholic Church and the Republican party. We now have three Democrat's running for President (soon to be two); and liberal's are running the Catholic Church.

What's an honest, God fearing, former Catholic, and former Republican to do....

 
At 10:17 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

ok, someone help me here. Is Pat back on the radio somewhere? If so, where???? My mornings will take on a whole new brightness if I can only find Pat again!

 
At 12:57 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

I really doubt the Catholic Church has taken a moderate approach to immigration, according to the Bible, Latinos (legal or not) are our brothers and sisters in Christ. I almost joined the Catholic Church last year, but decided aganist for some of their conservative views.

 
At 6:25 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

"1 in every 99 Americans now behind bars".
http://wcbstv.com/national/prison.americans.prison.2.665053.html

I would like to see a breakdown of this study, that covers the increase in incarcerations over a 20 year period, that reflects religious beliefs of the prisoners. Muslim, Catholics, Jews, Amish, etc. Maybe or maybe not, there is a corolation of something here...

 
At 1:59 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Pat,

I totally agree. As a Catholic, I am sickened by the liberal slant the church takes on immigration. I also can't stand Catholic's that support pro-choice candidates. Murdering unborn children is certainly not Christian, no matter how you market it...

Joe Caruso

New York

 
At 4:22 PM, Blogger Pat Campbell said...

Hey Christopher wake up & smell the coffee!
Catholic Church Lobbies for ILLEGAL Aliens
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HjlZvU_68ZI&feature=related

By the way on behalf of Catholics everywhere "Thanks for not joining!"

 
At 2:09 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I remember all the pennies us kids had to save in Catholic elementary school back in the 60's, to buy pagan babies in far away lands. I always won the prize of a religious statue for the most pennies. Never did figure out what they did with the pagan babies, I bought... I must have bought at least 10 of them..

Anyway... Don't have any kids in Catholic elementary school. Do they still collect pennies to buy pagan babies? Are they collecting pennies for illegal immigrants now?

 
At 9:41 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Now that I think about it... Obama's father was a goat herder in Kenya. During the John Kennedy (the other Kennedy) there was a program to give scholarship's and educate African's in the US, so they could return to their countries, and make "change". Change, that sounds familiar for some reason...

Anyway, Obama's father was a recipient, that went to college in Hawaii, than on to Harvard, and returned back to Kenya, to be a Finance minister, or something.. before he was killed in a car accident.

Now I believe, I can't be sure, but I believe... I might have bought Obama's daddy as one of my pagan babies, when I was in Catholic elementary school back! The photo is kind of blurred, but OMG it surely resembles Obama..

 
At 6:24 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

fnPat
Barbara and I have been following your progress and are really happy that you have found a new home.Say hello to Shawn for us
Howard

 

Post a Comment

<< Home