Monday, March 28, 2005

Selective Restraint Liberals cheered when Janet Reno defied the courts to seize Elian Gonzalez.

John Fund of WSJ...

The sad case of Terri Schiavo has raised passions not seen since five years ago. Then another bitterly divided family argued in Florida courts over someone who couldn't speak on his own behalf: Elian Gonzalez.

In both cases, those who were unhappy with the courts' decisions strained to assert the federal government's power to produce a different outcome. The difference is that in Mrs. Schiavo's case, Congress backed off after passing a bill that merely asked a federal court to hear the case from scratch, something that U.S. District Judge James Whittemore declined to do. By contrast, those who wanted the federal government to intervene in Elian Gonzalez's case went all the way, supporting a predawn armed federal raid on the morning before Easter to seize the 6-year-old boy despite a federal appeals court's refusal to order his surrender. To read the rest click HERE.

Bill Clinton had more testicular fortitude the George & Jeb Bush combined. He would not allow the Judicial Branch to defy his wishes.

1 Comments:

At 11:33 AM, Blogger bRight & Early said...

Pat, I would have to disagree with you on this to some extent. I agree with with what Rush Limbaugh had to say on this yesterday and posted here is a part of that transcript.

"RUSH: I'm a rule-of-law guy. I don't believe in openly defying courts. I believe in taking action to change them. I believe in taking action within the Constitution to change the judiciary as Congress clearly has the will to do. They are our elected officials. We have three coequal branches and none of them are supreme over the other two. The judiciary is acting as though it is supreme, and the members of the judiciary act appalled that anybody would question what they do. But I'm not for lawlessness; I don't care what the law is. That's not the way to change the law. I know a lot of people disagree with me, "Rush, we're talking about a woman's life here, throw out the law, cast it aside, we've got to save a woman's life." We're not Janet Reno. We're not Greg Craig. We're not the Clinton administration justice department. (Emphasis mine) I'm not. I don't think that that's the way to go about this. ...(SNIP)... The judicial branch is part of government. I don't advocate lawlessness. That's not the way to make long-term changes that will have substance and a foundation and have a chance at lasting."

 

Post a Comment

<< Home