Friday, August 26, 2005

Welcome to the Darkside



Lance Armstrong Defends Himself Against Accusations Of Doping

Last night (August 25th), champion cyclist Lance Armstrong appeared on the Larry King Live show on CNN to defend himself against accusations in the French press that he had used performance enhancing drugs in the 1999 Tour de France bicycle race. Armstrong has won the race seven times in a row.

French sports newspaper L'Equipe reported earlier this week that a researcher testing six reserved urine samples, taken from Armstrong in 1999, found positive for performance enhancer EPO.

Armstrong, who was described by Larry King as one of the most drug-tested athletes in the world, both in out of events, alleged that the accusations were a "set-up." He also said he has constantly fought allegations of doping through his career, to no avail, and didn't expect that they would ever stop.

Armstrong said that basic protocol was not followed in testing the reserve samples, and there are no backup samples left to prove either side's case. He also said that he didn't trust the lab technician, and that the French press have sometimes been biased against him, considering his success in one of their highest-profile national sports events.

He also categorically denied ever "doping," or using performance enhancers, during his career.

"There's a setup here and I'm stuck in the middle of it," Armstrong told the Associated Press, and added, "I absolutely do not trust that laboratory."

The allegations are reportedly more serious than previous ones, according to Dick Pound, head of the World Anti-Doping Agency, who himself had not yet reviewed the test results.

From the Larry King Live show:

Armstrong: "This thing stinks. It's not good for me, and the unfortunate thing is that you're potentially dealt with something that you have to face for the rest of your life, and like I said protocol wasn't followed, and there is no backup sample to confirm what they say is a positive test."
(Larry King) "Can you unequivocally say you have never used an illegal substance?" (Lance Armstrong) "Listen, I've said it for seven years, I've said it for longer than seven years. I have never doped. I can say it again, but I've said it for seven years, it doesn't help. But the fact of the matter is I haven't, and if you consider my situation, a guy who comes back from arguably a death sentence, why would I then enter into a sport and dope myself up and risk my life again? That's crazy, I would never do that. No, no way."

Here's a little crash course in blood doping and EPO. Click HERE.

The French won't be happy until they bring Lance down!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home