Tuesday, October 31, 2006

Magic Fan Wants Apology Over 'Monkey' Heckling Incident

Local6 is reporting...

An Orlando Magic basketball fan ejected from a recent game after saying a Houston Rockets star looked like a "big monkey" has hired an attorney and is demanding an apology from the player and the NBA, according to Local 6 News.

During the recent Houston Rocket basketball game at the TD Waterhouse Centre, fan Hooman Hamzehloui yelled what some consider a racial slur to Houston player Dikembe Mutombo, Local 6 sports director Todd Lewis said.

Hamzehloui is a longtime Magic basketball fan who constantly heckles opposing teams during games.

"And I said, 'Dikembe, you look like a big monkey,'" Hamzehloui told Lewis.

Mutombo heard the comment and had to be restrained on the court.

After the comment, Hamzehloui was ejected from the game and forced to leave the arena.

Hamzehloui told Local 6 News that what he said to Mutombo was not racist.

"I am not racist at all," Hamzehloui said. "I am a minority myself and I have a lot different races of friends. In fact, sometimes we call ourselves the United Nations."

Mutombo released a statement about the incident: "He was insulting my races, my family, my integrity. I hope they don't allow him to come back. If I get fined, I will go straight into the stands next time and (mess) somebody up."

"I'm pretty offended that he is calling me racist when he does not know who I am and based on one comment," Hamzehloui said.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home