Tuesday, December 25, 2007

The Importance of Gratitude


We all have so much to be thankful for this holiday season. I'm reminded of one of my favorite movies Pride of the Yankees: The Lou Gehrig Story. I love that scene where he gives his Luckiest Man Alive speech. Despite receiving devastating news Lou is able to see through it all and give thanks for the many blessings he had received.


Full text version of the Farewell Speech
"Fans, for the past two weeks you have been reading about the bad break I got. Yet today I consider myself the luckiest man on the face of this earth. I have been in ballparks for seventeen years and have never received anything but kindness and encouragement from you fans.

"Look at these grand men. Which of you wouldn't consider it the highlight of his career just to associate with them for even one day? Sure, I'm lucky. Who wouldn't consider it an honor to have known Jacob Ruppert? Also, the builder of baseball's greatest empire, Ed Barrow? To have spent six years with that wonderful little fellow, Miller Huggins? Then to have spent the next nine years with that outstanding leader, that smart student of psychology, the best manager in baseball today, Joe McCarthy? Sure, I'm lucky.

"When the New York Giants, a team you would give your right arm to beat, and vice versa, sends you a gift - that's something. When everybody down to the groundskeepers and those boys in white coats remember you with trophies - that's something. When you have a wonderful mother-in-law who takes sides with you in squabbles with her own daughter - that's something. When you have a father and a mother who work all their lives so you can have an education and build your body - it's a blessing. When you have a wife who has been a tower of strength and shown more courage than you dreamed existed - that's the finest I know.

"So I close in saying that I may have had a tough break, but I have an awful lot to live for."

I feel a bit like Lou Gehrig today. Sure I've had a minor setback losing my job at 540WFLA but I have so much to be grateful for this year. I'm blessed with a wonderful wife, 5 fantastic children, good health, great friends and loyal listeners like you. What more could a man ask for? I really am the luckiest man alive!

8 Comments:

At 6:07 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I had heard of the Lou Gehrig speech but had never read the full text before. Thank you so much for this posting and for all of the uplifting messages you have shared over your tenure at 540 encouraging each of us in the listening audience to be a better person and reminding us though life may not be perfect there are many blessings to be grateful for. I check back often looking forward to the day you have good news for us about where we can find you next!

 
At 9:12 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I know times like this are hard, but I a sure you will be ok. You have the desire and the drive to find that other door that has opened. I know I speak for many when I say we miss you on air.

 
At 10:32 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Pat,

Shame on 540 AM! I am displeased with how you were dismissed and I am equally unhappy at how 540 lacked any consideration for us - the loyal audience. I have moved on from the live listening audience; got an iPod during Christmas and now I download a variety of podcasts ...commercial free. Now I will get the content I want, when I want.
Unlike Gehrig (whose team allowed him to finish like a champion and address his fans), you are not diseased and dying. You are a free agent now and I expect to hear you again soon...and (read this 540!)I will download your podcasts.

 
At 10:44 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

We miss you so much.
Yes, many mornings you angered us beyond words but as a loyal friend we kept returning because we knew how passionate you were with what you were saying and believed in. God bless and we know 2008 will be wonderful for you and your family. Keep us posted, we are looking for you.

 
At 2:14 AM, Blogger Michael said...

Pat, I can't say that I was a loyal listener, nor did I agree with you on many points. Even after calling in a couple times your response to my comments were frustrating. Obviously there was some curiousity in your program that caused me to listen on occasion and although you often annoyed me, some of the discussions did cause me to cogitate further on the subject of those discussions. I would often enter my office and spout out my opinion on the subject matter to my fellow co-workers. Obviously the program served its purpose. Aside from my opinions of you on the radio, you seem to me to be a good person, father and husband. I know you don't need that reassurance from me, but I did want to point it out. Good luck in your endeavors and God bless you and your family. Leaving "the most dangerous city in America" might have been a blessing (LOL). Seriously Pat, Good Luck, God Bless and keep on keeping on...
Michael

 
At 4:21 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Pat: What you have experienced is the very start of NAFTA" Its such A-Shame we have been sold out by our very own who we work so hard to represent us everyday in Washington DC through out the entire planet.!This NAFTA Scheme is no good for the working class of this country. This chump they replace you with knows lots about football but unable to relate with concerning whats happening in the world when you spoke we listen..!! when this Guy speaks we hear noise and quickly turn to 660am or turn the radio off entirely. To bad for WFLA 540am they will wake up and say what have we done what happened why are we being sold to 660am of ect....!!! 540am you have made your bed so now you must live with your decision to remove the best of the best Pat Cambell. and i am certain they know we no longer hear there noise on 540am and have 0 respect for the 540am broadcast station..!! PS: dont get discouraged look at what happen to Howard Stren or many of the best entertainers in USA. Pat Cick back relax and move it on up to TV. Or Satellite RADIO" or where ever the path leads 540am was a path that led you to it. If employed by 540am i would put my home for sale and put out resumes ASAP." God Bless you and looking for you on the AIR" to hear the TRUTH of what is happening in the world ..!! We Miss You"

 
At 4:22 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

540am is for the birds to hear not us human Shame on 540am"

 
At 8:50 AM, Blogger corycollier said...

Pat,
I'd been out of town for a couple weeks, and when I came back you were off the air. I wish I knew why, but I've always appreciated your show. Thanks for all the good conversation and good luck out there.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home