Tuesday, May 09, 2006

Routine HIV testing sought for U.S. adults and teens

CDC says it should reduce transmission, ease stigma

Testing for the AIDS virus could become part of routine physical exams for adults and teens if doctors follow new U.S. guidelines expected to be issued by this summer.
Federal health officials say they'd like HIV testing to be as common as a cholesterol check.

The guidelines for routine testing would apply to every American ages 13 to 64 under the proposal by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

One-quarter of the 1 million Americans with the AIDS virus don't know they are infected, and that group is most responsible for HIV's spread, CDC officials said.
This is a terrible idea! Why test everyone? Not everyone is at risk. This would be like screening everyone for lung cancer, not everyone's at risk. Target the at risk group, smokers. When it comes to aids test the at risk groups(i.e. Homosexuals, IV drug users, promiscuous individuals that engage in high risk activity-anal intercourse). Who do you think will pick up the tab for widespread testing? Insurance companies that will pass the cost along to us in the form of increased premiums.

3 Comments:

At 3:43 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Not to mention the cost of recieving a false positive test!

I had to get an HIV test because my wife and I are adopting and the country we are adopting from requires the test. My wife and I both are at virtually no risk of contracting this disease - we don't use drugs and share needles, we have never had a blood transfusion, we do not work in the medical field and we have never had sex with anybody other than each other. Still, my doctor tried to talk me out of having this test done. His rationale - there is still a chance of recieving a false positive test and the repercusions, should I have recieved a "positive" test would have been extensive. I would have had to have a false positive on my permanent medical file, etc.

Anyway, the test had to be done in order for me to proceed with our adoption. It was negative, but I still find it very interesting that my doctor really didn't want me to be tested, even though there was no chance I had AIDS.

 
At 1:08 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

is it possible to get aids if i aggresively masterbate to the pamela rogers video phone video?

 
At 8:59 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

only if you "aggresively masterbate" with a used razor....

 

Post a Comment

<< Home