Saturday, March 10, 2007

Gingrich admits to extramarital affair

WASHINGTON - Former House Speaker Newt Gingrich acknowledged he was having an extramarital affair even as he led the charge against President Clinton over the Monica Lewinsky affair, he acknowledged in an interview with a conservative Christian group.

"The honest answer is yes," Gingrich, a potential 2008 Republican presidential candidate, said in an interview with Focus on the Family founder James Dobson to be aired Friday, according to a transcript provided to The Associated Press. "There are times that I have fallen short of my own standards. There's certainly times when I've fallen short of God's standards."

Gingrich argued in the interview, however, that he should not be viewed as a hypocrite for pursuing Clinton's infidelity.

"The president of the United States got in trouble for committing a felony in front of a sitting federal judge," the former Georgia congressman said of Clinton's 1998 House impeachment on perjury and obstruction of justice charges. "I drew a line in my mind that said, 'Even though I run the risk of being deeply embarrassed, and even though at a purely personal level I am not rendering judgment on another human being, as a leader of the government trying to uphold the rule of law, I have no choice except to move forward and say that you cannot accept ... perjury in your highest officials."

In other BREAKING NEWS Lincoln Assassinated at Ford Theater

3 Comments:

At 1:31 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm guessing that Newt is ensuring that those on the religious right who haven't heard or who have forgotten about this incident are innoculated against the shock value of this "revelation" if and when he decides to run for president. I suspect that, if the big three (McCain, Guiliani, and Romney) destroy each other between now and October 2007, then Newt will step in and announce his candidacy.

It's true that he has very high negatives, but Hillary started with negatives above 50% and has worked them down to about 40% (if I remember correctly), so, if Hillary can do it, then perhaps maybe Newt might be able to reduce his negatives.

It's all in God's hands. I hope He's feeling merciful towards us when it comes time to vote.

 
At 3:06 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Why should anyone care about this? We had a President that was a role model for my children, your children, and the youth of America.. who disgraced the office of the president, lied to the American people, and now his wife is the top contender as the Democratic nominee.. Nobody seemed to care but me, and a few others.. Now all of a sudden the media is concerned about Newt Gingrich who may, or may not run for President having an extramarital affair? How about Barry Obama and his cocaine addiction, gang activity as a teenager, and his Marolboro cigarrete smoking image as a role model to the "yut" of America? No questions about his values or hipocriticies?

 
At 3:17 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Now I could have sworn Ford was Assassinated at the Lincoln Theater.. but, heck the issue is Gingrich admitting to an extraterestrial affair, possibly with an illegal alien... from the planet of Miami.. or Mexico PA near his hometown of Hummelstown PA.. I know that for a fact! Since I bought a headstone for a relative in PA, and Newt's brother who owns Gingrich's memorial monuments in Hummelstown told me, confidentialy, it was so.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home